Monday, July 14, 2008

Day Three -- 2008 Bike Trip

Last evening while in Altoona, PA, I went to see the Indiana Jones movie. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this movie as Harrison Ford is quite a bit older -- maybe I was expecting him to chase guys around with a walker, but the movie was good. I give it an 8. As I was leaving the theatre and went to start my bike, there was no start! The battery was near dead. The only people left in the parking lot were two teen girls.

I think I gave them a little pause, if not an outright scare. Late at night. Two teen girls alone in the parking lot, and this 50 something biker dude comes over and asks them to help out. They were more than gracious and I was able to get the bike started and get back to my room.

Once at the motel, I hooked the battery up to a charger and hoped for the best.

Today as I hooked up the battery, and then loaded my gear. I quietly said a prayer and turned the key -- it started!

I then looked for a Suzuki dealership, cued in the GPS and off I went in my search. Now it may seem to be a pretty sweet deal except that the sun was brightly shinning and I could not see nor hear the GPS. Another fact is the address was wrong in the phone book, and thereby I was searching in all the wrong places.

Upon finding the Suzuki service center (which is actually in Bedford) Carlos was more than helpful in getting me rigs for dinnerht into the shop and testing the system. Come to find out I am grounded on three of my three stater ports (not a good thing)! No parts in stock. Was able to locate one and have it over-nighted and tomorrow at about 10am they will install it and have me back on the road!

So I went down to get gas at the nearby Sheetz and sat down at a table with Mike and Paul (Honda riders) and spent the afternoon in conversation with them. Pray for me as tomorrow we are meeting for coffee and donuts while the bike is being repaired.

Tonight am camping at Sleepy Hollow Camp Ground just down the road from the bike shop. Had a small campfire, and roasted some hot dogs for dinner. Have spent time today reading the Word and now blogging and just catchiung up on some reading.

Tomorrow is bike repair and breakfast with the boyz. Travel to Washington DC to have dinner with BT's girlfriend. More tomorrow as the saga continues -- the Lord willing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love following your journey--keep it coming!! I can't wait to hear your stories!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!

This seems like a power packed week for you. I will continue to pray for your journey and bike. Through it all I have to say, "I'm blessed to have you as my pastor". You are as real as they come. As I was reading your daily logs, I had to chuckle because I'm picturing the least thing that could go wrong, ends up going wrong. As I said before, this is your Mosaic experience (had to speak with stuttering lips, had to negotiate while God hardened the mans heart, had to lead a stubborn group, and only saw the promise land w/o going in). I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.