Monday, November 5, 2007

Did ja ever?

One of the stops on my morning preparation route is taking a few moments to check my email -- it is one stop before considering to blog or not to blog. I suscribe to a free daily email from http://www.mikeysfunnies.com/ which provides some levity to face the day. A regular feature of this email is simply called "Thot For The Day" --- today, whether it was intentional or not, it was simply blank. Does this mean Mikey isn't thinking? His mind went blank? That today he did think, but his thought wasn't funny? I am definitely going to check my mail tomorrow, Lord willing, to see if he has a funny thought tomorrow.

I can identify with my friend Mikey. Two Sundays ago I preached a sermon that I was able to hit out of the park. As I prepared for yesterdays sermon, I felt like I was going to strike out, or worse yet, take a full-blown swing only to have it come off the bat and land directly in front of the plate -- did ja ever have that happen to you?

Wrestling with these thoughts (or lack of) I did have another thought. The greatest batters in baseball don't hit home runs or grand slams each time they come to the plate. Why do I feel like each Sunday when I preach I must hit it out of the park? Why do I feel that each day has to be better and more incredible than the next? Isn't preaching more than a week by week event? Isn't life more than one day?

Preaching and Life are journeys over an extended period of time. Some of those times will be on the mountain top, but many will also be in the valley. Reading Psalm 23 today gently reminded me that it is about green pastures, quiet streams, and yes even valleys of shadowy death, and days that are lack luster. God is Lord of all of those days! Today maybe a lack luster day (Monday to boot), but God is still God and he is walking with me -- and even as I think on these things -- I think I had a thought -- God is with me and He loves me!!! WoW! Did ja ever?

1 comment:

btlowery said...

Well Dad, you may feel you need to "hit it out of the park" every time because baseball, unlike much of life, is extremely forgiving. You can only succeed 30% of the time and people will think you're great. Most gigs aren't like that... we're accustomed to having perfection demanded of us. That's the world we live in, the world of competition.

However, the world we live in isn't the world of grace. Thankfully, the heavenly scale is a bit more like baseball...