Sunday, November 11, 2007

Essential or Required

From time to time I have these spurious thoughts -- they just seem to pop up without provocation. Early this morning as I was engaged in my Sunday morning routine, a thought leaped into my head. I have gathered with others for the purpose of worship, almost every Sunday I have been alive -- that's a lot of Sundays! I am currently 50, so todate I have had 2600 plus Sundays that are possible. I am guessing , but I think I have missed no more than 30. If my math is correct, than I have been in a minimum of 2, 570 services. I cannot fathom, not worshipping with God's people.

In 2004 I missed the bulk of my "not-in-church" Sundays due to being ill with pnuemonia. How I longed to be in worship - I craved being with God's people.

In the midst of these thoughts I had another, is worshipping with God's people essential? I mean, is it necessary for salvation? Countless people have told me that they love God, but can worship him wherever they happen to be, i.e. golf course, camping, you get the picture.

I am inclined to agree with them -- worshipping is not essential for salvation. I believe that worship is however required.

When you get a new whatever - -on the box it says "some assembly may be required". You don't have to screw on all the parts. You may be able to use it in some fashion for a period of time, but if you want the full usefulness, the full function of your product you had better grab your hammer, phillips screwdriver, glue, and hex head allen wrench.

I recently purchased a used LaSabre. Now I don't have to take my car in for routine maintenace, it's not essential, my car still goes down the road. if however I want to get the most out of my car, if I want to be able to have dependable transportation-- routnine maintenace is required.

The same is true with the life of a Christian. If we are going to be all that God wants us to be, we cannot "forsake the gathering of ourselves together". You can still know eternal life through Jesus Christ, but you will be missing out on what it truly means to be His follower.

This next Sunday I'll be the guy getting up and heading off to worship -- not because it is essential, but it is a requirement that helps me be all that God wants me to be, and I do it because I love spending time with God and His people in worship! Come join me this next Sunday!

No comments: